Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Snorts and Snarfs of Life

I never use to snore, at least none of my boyfriends never complained. But then around age 40 I started getting serious complaints from my husband! I didnt believe him and figured he was just annoyed I woke him up cause the tv was too loud. Turns out he was right. At first he'd try to get me to roll over which worked for a awhile, then he'd say "Wake up your snoring!" but id be asleep and argue back "Im not snoring!" Then he pull the pillows out from under my head.  this went on for yrs. I thought maybe it was because I broke my nose 10 days before our wedding, or a sinusitis issue, or a weight gain factor. Well I lost the weight back then and it didnt change the snoring problem at all. Years passed by and some weight came back and now he just gets up in the middle of the night and finishes sleeping on the couch. Occassionally still today I hear him say he has to close the door cause he can still hear me snoring from out there. How embarrassing, eh?!

So I did some research and snoring can be a dangerous thing especially those who are overweight, sleep apnea for one! Well, that scared the hell outta me! Cause by the time I start to snore he'd be at work and if sleep apnea occurs he's gonna come home and find me dead! Turns out we snore more as we get older because our muscles become increasingly flaccid with age. Gaining weight can increase snoring because fat deposits accumulate in the tissues of the airway, making them heavier so they fall more into the line of airflow. So I've added some links below for those like myself who suffer this issue:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/snoring/DS00297/DSECTION=causes
http://www.sleepapnea.org/info/index.html
http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/SleepApnea/SleepApnea_WhatIs.html

So hopefully your partner loves you enough to stick around, put up with, or will help medically so you two both can get a full night rest. For me it became a guilt thing, see he goes to bed at 11pm and i started to go to bed later to avoid waking him up. First it was 1 a.m., then 2 a.m., then 4 a.m. and now its like 5 a.m. Fortunately I work from home so I can deal with this odd schedule. I wake around 11-12 and bedtime is about 4-5 a.m. So now I get uninterrupted sleep and he only suffers about 1 hour, but at least now he doesnt cuss me out for waking him up, Ive become more of an alarm clock to him.

1 comment:

  1. Holly Crap, she was right!
    (but I still think that I'm not snoring, even I was told so)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment of agreement or disagreement or just to let me know you enjoyed the article. Thanks!